The method of smoking herring was introduced in the Îles-de-la-Madeleine in the 19th century by merchants from the coast of Maine and Maritime provinces, particularly from Grand Manan Island, in the Bay of Fundy.
«The first smokehouse saw the day in 1870, in Havre-aux-Maisons.»
In the beginning, the smokehouses mainly supplied the local market. The Second World War prevented Europe from supplying the West Indies, an important consumer of smoked herring. Thus, large amounts of smoked herring from the Iles-de-la-Madeleine would be exported toward these countries, resulting in the expansion of the industry.